What kind of a mindset do you need to persevere through life’s challenges?
I have been focusing on perseverance quite a bit recently, as I started a new project I have never done before. I have been thinking about the mindset required to be successful at completing this one-year commitment I am embarking on.
To persevere means to keep moving forward with goals or responsibilities, despite set backs or opposition. Having determination to endure toward a desired outcome. It takes skill to persevere at a difficult job, or be in a tumultuous relationship, or exercise regularly. It takes focus to complete goals. Not everyone has the skills or mindset to persevere.
Low self-esteem, or not believing you can overcome certain difficulties is a mindset that impedes perseverance. Fear of failure also plays a role in diminishing perseverance. Some people believe it is more tolerable to not try at all, than to try and not succeed. Negative thinking, worry and staying distracted can halt our ability to persevere to successful outcomes in our lives.
So what builds perseverance? Acknowledging all the hardships you have overcome since birth. Suffering is a part of life; therefore, each difficulty you overcome, adds perseverance. This is also true for nature. Trees that have survived the harshest storms, grow the deepest roots. Buildings that last thousands of years have the strongest foundation. I am reminded of that cliché, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” This applies when it comes to gaining perseverance.
Here are some more strategies that can strengthen your ability to persevere:
- Recall challenges from the past, and use these as proof that you are an overcomer.
- Refuse to give your attention to doubts or thoughts that weaken your ability to move forward.
- Affirm that you are equipped to handle all that life brings you, one moment at a time- to reinforce positive beliefs about your capabilities.
- Stay connected to people who support you in reaching your goals and life purpose.
- Visualize yourself completing a goal or desired outcome, to speed up manifestation.
- Read positive literature that strengthens and motivates you to keep going.
- Participate in a daily practice that builds perseverance, like exercise.
- Encourage yourself and give yourself little rewards along the way, to promote progress.
- Ask God to strengthen you and help you overcome adversity and hardships.
Persevering is necessary to get through life successfully. You were born to overcome and you have it within you to complete this journey, accomplishing what you are created to do.
“God Blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life, that God has promised to those who love him.” James 1:12
Written by: Elisabeth Davies, MC
Counselor and author of Good Things Emotional Healing Journal: Addiction